Top Ten Trends in the Job Market
10. SaaS continues to be a software model that works
9. Hiring – I am starting to see more sales, business development, and product marketing/management and even marketing searches as the hiring market picks up
8. eReaders - with my upcoming book I am eagerly watching the eReader and tablet platform proliferation
7. Start-up 101 - with the venture capital markets retrenching, we will probably see more lean start-ups and more revenue/monetization before funding
6. Consulting - before hiring employees, companies usually turn to consultants to fill the gap
5. Clean-tech/sustainability - a lot of candidates express the desire to join this bubble
4. Smartphones - watch as mobile devices become the PC industry of the decade
3. Cloud computing/virtualization – another area to watch
2. Proactive/pre-emptive hiring - just like coming out of the dot.com recession, I predict smart companies will be hiring top talent to leap frog competition
1. Social media - we have crossed the gap and I now see social media driving marketing for businesses (follow me on Twitter!)
Top Ten Tips for Getting a Job
10. Network, network, network
9. Update your resume, with a word diet to bring prominence to your unique skills and experiences
8. Add an objective or concise summary to your resume, clearly stating your brand
7. Determine your unique brand – what makes you better than others applying for the positions?
6. Practice a 15 second elevator pitch and include representative target companies to grab your listener
5. Pick up the phone and call 20 people this week!
4. Set up 5 informational interviews – and do NOT ask for a job
3. Attend at least one professional event this week in your area of expertise
2. Join a job search networking group for lead sharing and accountability
1. Identify 6 to 10 target companies and focus your efforts on these companies
Kathryn Ullrich Associates, Inc. completed a COO search for a disruptive, innovative technology company. We are now conducting a COO search for a consumer Internet company.
For more information, visit www.ullrichassociates.com. Kathryn Ullrich Associates, Inc. focuses on VP and Director level hires across the functions of Product Marketing/Management, Marketing, Sales and Consulting for technology and services companies.
- Feb 23 - Webinar: Demystifying Succession Planning
- Feb 25 – Strategies for Career Success (San Diego)
- March 23 – Entrepreneurial Ingenuity: Do Work to Get Work (NYC)
- April 29 – Getting to the Top: Strategies for Career Success (SDForum)
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/gettingtothetop
LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/in/ullrich, and
Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/gettingtothetop.